Public transport passenger control
The division of Public Transport Passenger Control has 60 employees divided into 15 teams and 5 service vehicles.
The Control not only conducts inspection of passengers of public transport but also maintains order on public transport and seeks to provide the passengers with greater comfort and safety and reduce the number of antisocial persons riding on public transport.
Since 2017, the Control has carried out more than 15 surprises of various kinds and campaigns for the passengers, and their number has been increasing every year! The inspectors brought pleasant surprises to over 38 thousand passengers in Vilnius City.
What is inspected by public transport inspectors?
Inspectors of road passenger transport of ME Susisiekimo Paslaugos (hereinafter – the inspectors) work in the area of Vilnius City Municipality and the adjacent districts and inspect passenger vehicles that run on local routes by checking the documents of the vehicles’ drivers as well as documents related to transportation of passengers and luggage.
During inspection, the inspectors verify the following:
1. whether the drivers of road passenger transport have a driver’s license, the vehicle’s certificate of registration, the card (report) of the vehicle’s technical inspection results, and documents granting the right for the carrier to conduct passenger transportation in accordance with the procedures laid down by law;
2. whether the drivers of road passenger vehicles transport passengers along the established route and whether they keep to traffic schedules;
3. whether the drivers and passengers adhere to the requirements of legal acts governing passenger transportation.
What are the functional rights of the inspectors based on their competences?
Inspectors are authorised to investigate administrative offences, draw up reports of administrative offences and process cases of administrative offences relating to activities specified in Article 446 and 448(1)(2)(3) of the Code of Administrative Offences of the Republic of Lithuania (hereinafter – the CAO).
The legal basis: The order No. 30-2276/19 “On the authorisation of officers to investigate administrative offences, draw up reports of administrative offences, and investigate cases of administrative offences” signed by the Director of Administration of Vilnius City Municipality on 6 September 2019.
When performing the functions of inspection in accordance with their competence, the inspectors have the following rights:
1. To stop road passenger vehicles using a circle with a red reflector in locations where stopping is not prohibited by the Road Traffic Rules;
2. To enter a bus or trolleybus and verify the driver’s documents and the tickets of passengers;
3. To impose administrative fines to persons who have committed administrative offences in accordance with the procedures laid down by law;
4. To remove a passenger from the vehicle if he/she refuses to purchase a ticket.
When performing the functions of inspection, the inspectors must have the inspector’s licence on a visible part of his/her clothing (at chest height).
The inspectors’ activities are governed by:
Extracts from the Code of Administrative Offences
Article 446. Riding without a ticket, riding after purchasing a discounted ticket but without necessary documents confirming the right to transport discount, transportation of passengers riding without a ticket or with an illegally acquired ticket with a discount, or unpaid luggage on road passenger vehicles, refusal to pay for a taxi ride.
6. Transportation of passengers without a ticket or failure to comply with the fixed rates, transportation of passengers who have purchased tickets with a discount but did not submit the necessary documents confirming the right to transport discount, sale of two or more ride tickets with a discount instead of a single ride ticket, printing of ride tickets with discounts when there are no passengers, printing of data of two or more ride tickets with a discount on a single ride ticket impose a fine from EUR 70 to EUR 140.
Article 448. Violation of the regulations of the transportation of passengers on road passenger transport and the rights of passengers using road passenger transport
1. Transportation of passengers on road passenger vehicles whose design, technical or sanitary condition does not comply with the requirements established in the legal acts imposes a fine from EUR 14 to EUR 30 for the drivers and a fine from EUR 40 to EUR 90 for the heads of legal entities or other responsible persons.
2. Transportation of passengers on road passenger vehicles without possessing the documents specified in the legal acts governing road passenger transport or while possessing the expired documents imposes a fine from EUR 14 to EUR 30 for the drivers and a fine from EUR 40 to EUR 90 for the heads of legal entities or other responsible persons.
3. A failure to keep to the schedules of road passenger transport traffic and deviation from the specified route impose a fine from EUR 14 to EUR 30 for the drivers and a fine from EUR 70 to EUR 140 for the heads of legal entities or other responsible persons.