Transportation regulations and fines
Regulations of transportation of passengers
The regulations determine the procedure of riding the buses and trolleybuses in the city of Vilnius, the duties and responsibility of the carrier, the driver, and the passengers, the rights of the passengers, and the procedure of driver and passenger control.
The regulations (in Lithuanian only) can be found here.
How to travel on public transport with your pet/animal?
On the buses and trolleybuses of Vilnius, any public transport passenger can transport his/her pet/animal in a special dedicated container (e.g. a box, a basket, etc.) free of charge. If a larger animal, which does not fit in any container, is transported, it can ride without a container.
The passenger must have the documents specifying the pet’s vaccination marks and the pet must wear a muzzle (except for dogs whose breed is not suited for muzzles) and kept on a leash no longer than 0.5 metres. These criteria are specified in the Regulations of Transportation of Passengers and Luggage on Buses and Trolleybuses in Vilnius City.
Remember that if an animal polluted the interior of a bus or a trolleybus the passenger who is carrying it must immediately clean the dirtied area of the interior. Moreover, the passenger is responsible for the harm caused by the animals it is carrying to the health, lives, property, and peace of the other passengers and must reimburse it and also follow the approved Regulations of Animal Handling in the territory of Vilnius City Municipality.
Can I carry a bicycle, a scooter, Segway, or a skateboard on public transport?
Bicycles are permitted to be transported only on the vehicles that are marked with special bicycle-permitting signs. A passenger with a bicycle can enter only via the second door of the vehicle next to the special dedicated area for transporting bicycles. The bicycles are transported in a manner which does not impede safe and comfortable journey of other passengers.
Currently bicycles can be transported on the buses 1G and 3G that are easily recognisable by the exterior design of the vehicle and by the caption “Velobusas”. These buses are marked by special bicycle signs on the schedules and timetables so that the passengers know in advance when a vehicle adapted for bicycle transportation will arrive.
Scooter, Segway, and skateboard can also be transported on the vehicle for free. They do not have to be attached to anything on the vehicle.
What should I know about transportation of luggage?
A passenger is entitled to transport one item of hand luggage whose dimensions are no greater than 60x40x20 cm or whose total sum of dimensions does not exceed 120 cm. The dimension limit does not apply to winter sports equipment or one item of hand luggage carried by pupils or students which is necessary for their school or studies.
After validating an additional single-use paper ticket purchased from the driver (all prices), a passenger can transport:
A second item of hand luggage whose dimensions are no greater than 60x40x20 cm or whose total sum of dimensions does not exceed 120 cm;
A hand luggage item whose dimensions are greater than 60x40x20 cm or whose total sum of dimensions exceeds 120 cm, but it must not obstruct the passengers, be cumbersome, or stain the seats of the bus/trolleybus or the passengers’ clothing.
- A fine of between 10 and 14 euros is imposed when a passenger pays for a trip with a discounted ticket but does not provide a document which proves the entitlement to the discounts;
- A fine of between 12 and 24 euros is imposed on parents or guardians (carers) for transportation of children aged between 7 and 14 without a ticket and for transportation of children aged between 14 and 16 without a ticket.
- A fine of between 16 and 30 euros is imposed on passengers who ride without a ticket or purchase a discounted ticket but are not entitled to the transportation discounts.
- Transportation of unpaid luggage is punishable by a fine of between 10 and 12 euros.
How to pay a fine?
Payments for administrative offenses can be made on the website of Mano VMI or via online banking system by selecting the desired bank and specifying the bank account of State Tax Inspectorate under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania dedicated to collecting budget revenue:
- AB Citadele bank - LT78 7290 0000 0013 0151;
- AB DNB bank - LT74 4010 0510 0132 4763;
- AB SEB - LT05 7044 0600 0788 7175;
- AB Šiaulių bankas - LT32 7180 0000 0014 1038;
- Danske Bank A/S Lietuvos filialas - LT74 7400 0000 0872 3870;
- Nordea Bank AB Lietuvos skyrius - LT12 2140 0300 0268 0220;
- AB Swedbank - LT24 7300 0101 1239 4300;
- UAB Medicinos bankas - LT42 7230 0000 0012 0025.
The following must be specified in the receipt:
- Personal identification number of the payer
- Recipient – State Tax Inspectorate (Valstybinė mokesčių inspekcija)
- Payment code – 1001
- Identification code of the Register of Administrative Offenses (ROIK)
- Payment amount
When paying an administrative fine on behalf of another person, the name, surname and personal identification number of the person on behalf of whom the payment is made must be specified in the fields for the name of the payer reference party and the code of the payer reference party.
Payments of administrative fines can also be made in the institutions that provide services of payment collection and in their sub-divisions or the sub-divisions of their intermediaries under the existing agreements with State Tax Inspectorate:
- At the postal offices of the company AB Lietuvos Paštas;
- The company Paysera LT
- At the tills of the company MAXIMA LT, an intermediary of the company SOLLO;
- The company Elotus;
- At the terminals of the company Perlo Paslaugos;
- On the website of the company Viena Sąskaita;
- In the newsstands of the company Mokėjimų Paslaugos.
- In the FOXBOX self-service payment terminals of the company Mokėjimo Terminalų sistema.